Thursday, January 24, 2008

More Questions Than Answers

Hi Everyone.

It has been a while since I've updated, but I am sure you can imagine what a stressful time this has been. Kayla has been on clear liquids for almost three weeks. Throw in a few mg of steroids plus the steroid pulses you have a hunger like no other. One can only eat so much Jello. Kayla has been having an incredible amount of pain. She has been an 8 on 1-10 scale. I have been on my own until last Thursday when Rick came down from work. She has been having a few tests.
Kayla was given a test capsule to imitate a test called ERCP. A capsule with a camera that should come out and give the DR's a good view of Kayla's intestines. The test runs failed. Both the capsules dissolved before they came out. So then it was on to another test called an MRCP ( a very fancy MRI with fancy contrast Kayla had to drink. During the test something was sending a very bright flash image back. Test could not be completed. It seems the latest dissolving capsule had some sort of metal in it. Which just so happens, is still in Kayla's intestines. How or why there is metal in dissolving capsule & why or how it would get stuck? That is a question that has not been answered. The doctors feel the pain medications are slowing down her stomach. Which is fairly reasonable. One problem, Kayla's pain. The latest recommendation for getting of Opioid is an Anesthetic medication that can give a person feelings of being detached, hallucinations and make one of her eyes bounce. The best part is this medication is only administrated by highly trained staff. We would have to move to the Hemonc floor. I am refusing to move. I feel if they were able to give Kayla chemo on the medical floor, they can improvise again.
They are considering exploratory surgery to figure out her stomach issues. Highly risky for more than one reason. She is on 4 immunosuppressents and the area in questions is full of poop and bacteria. Not high on our list.
I will update when I have a real answer. Probably next week. You can text us or email if anyone has questions.
Take Care
Jeneice

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh you guys... I was worried since there hadn't been an update, and this all sounds worse than my imagination could come up with. I'll talk to you soon.

Dad said...

Kayla is now in my prayers in Georgia.

Wayne (Ruth's Dad)

Kat said...

Hey there sorry it has been such a pain and that my trip did not happen thanks to a lot of factors Shannon and ryan did not make it either thanks to mother nature. I have been sick since my Birthday and I am trying to get better to make it over there. Working with kids makes that hard take care love you lots Aunt KAT