Friday, June 15, 2007

Maybe there is some hope left in the world. Today was a better day, looking at it overall. This morning started out pretty crappy, since my back was so tense I couldn't move. I had to take my Morphine, Robaxin, and TWO Oxycodones and that didn't even phase it (therefore I went into a really bad spasm). This made me late getting up, so I ate breakfast late. Oh, postpone complaining about pain, so that I can tell you how pathetic this hospital is with their food. They expect me to run on half a biscuit and Rice Krispies. Oh, can't forget that 1/4 of a banana!! But anyway, after breakfast I took my med medley. Bathroom break, then getting dressed and brushing teeth and other grooming things. By this time I am so late that it takes up my whole 1/2 hour of OT (not that that makes me very sad). Then trying to hurry and get to the gym to salvage what was left of my OT time (about 10 minutes), I go into another spasm. Then it's time for PT. By this time my back is so tight all we can do is deep tissue massage, since I can't move hardly. Then I'm whisked off to school for an hour, only to find out I have a major project I have to work on over the weekend (get this, I have to build a 3-D model of the ancient Japanese castle of Himeji, along with an essay on it's history and unique features). After this it gets a little better though. they actually gave me a whole extra hour and a half free, so we were able to eat a leisurely lunch, just me and mom (which was awesome, it was clam chowder day today!). Then mom took me for a surprise; one of our friends from CRC (clinical research center, where I went when I was on the experimental drug) had brought in her puppy so that I could see her! That definitely surprised (and pleased) me. After we played with the puppy for about half an hour we went to the art room to see what we could scrounge up for supplies to build my model (half a success, you could say. What kind of hospital doesn't have extra pieces of cardboard lying around, especially an art department!) But we did manage to find some Popsicle sticks and modeling clay, so I'[ll try and make it work. Then it was PT and OT time again, 10 minutes on the arm bike, 10 on the recumbent. I also got a really nice new butt pad for my wheelchair (to help support my back better). Oh, and the best part is when they decided to give me an arm extension thingy, ya know, the really long stick with the claw on the end to help reach things that are really high or really low (they give them to a lot of old people, and to short people too I guess). Then I came back to my room and now I'm talking on here. You have just read through a pretty thourough description of my day. It was a bummer though, no pool today. I had to ride the stupid bike instead (but Amanda, my PT on Wed.-Fri., makes it pretty fun). Another bummer is that all next week I have to get up another half hour early to get ready for my 9:30 OT sessions! I thought I made it very clear that I am not a morning person, and it was their own fault if the got the grumpy side of me by sceduling anything before 10:00. But really, it was worth. This way I can go to Ot, then school from 10:00-11:00 and pool PT from 11:00-12:00, then lunch. Then probably OT PT again, and maybe rehab psych, or rehab rec. We will try to reschedule the outing from this week to next, since it was a bust. Not much else to complain about though, come to think of it. We are going to try a few different techniques in how I sleep to see if that helps my back any. They are also having Pain Team come down and talk to us about alternative treatments, like acupuncture. Frankly, I'm not 100% sure about it, but the more my back keeps spazzing out, the more open to it I feel. Hey, if it helps, I'm open to it! I've heard from a few different people that it does wonders, my arthritis pen pal says it works great for her, so I'm thinking maybe it will for me too. Anything to get me off of these stupid pain pills, or at least get me down on the narcs a little bit. Ok, since I don't want to end on a sour note, I'll share some exciting news: WE GOT AN OVERNIGHT PASS!!!! tomorrow after my morning therapies, we're outta here and ain't coming back till Sunday night! Sure it's only across the street, but heck, better than nothing really! Well, it's four right now, so I think I'll squeeze in a little brainstorming before dinner comes. It's gonna be tough getting this model done, without all the world's resources at my fingertips (you wouldn't realize how limited your options are in this place). Much love to all!!

No comments: