Monday, October 1, 2007

I hate my life sometimes. Can anyone guess why? Yep, I am in the freaking hospital on my birthday. Of course. The one day of the year I don't want to be in here (not that I want to spend ANY in here, but I mean, come ON!!! my BIRTHDAY?!?!) How much crueler can the world be (notice I haven't brought Him into my angry conversation)? Well, three major things, then I will post when we know more. And just to clarify, I haven't been neglecting you, there just hasn't been anything to post. Now there is.

Thing # 1: We came in for a blood draw, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst, and setting somewhere in between. First the little rat bugger wouldn't draw......as usual. Then they did a peripheral stick, there wasn't even a flash. Then they TPAed the line, and this once (we've done it five other times) it helped. So they drew, and then my numbers came back waaaay bad.

Thing # 2: They redid my line. One would think they would read my chart and find out that both the sedation meds they had set up for me don't do a darned thing, but NNNOOOOOO!!! Can anyone guess what happened? Just like the last time they used them, they DIDN'T WORK, and so therefore (DUH!!!) they didn't work THIS TIME!!! Now, if we put 2 and 2 together, we figure out that just like when they placed the PICC line in, I felt the whole procedure! Can you say OOOUUUUCCHH??!?!?!?!?!?!

Thing # 3: This is a prime example of saving the best (if you think of it in the way I am) for last:
They apparently have found a preliminary donor for me. This means, for those of you out there who are a little slow, that they found me a donor match, and I could possibly get a transplant. It would be quite a while before any balls would roll, but it would mean some marbles would move. First I have to been as healthy as I can, meaning no more infections or whatever. Oh, and the difference between a preliminary donor and an official donor is that yes, it's a match, but that is just from the list. We don't know if they are still healthy, still willing, or even (I know this sounds odd, but it's not impossible!) if they're still alive! So, they are looking into it, and then they're going to get back to us. I am still having mixed feelings about it. There is a twenty percent chance I could die from my disease (which I was unaware of until now), but there is a twenty percent chance that this transplant could kill me. Here's why I'm still kind of stuck: there is an UP TO 50% CHANCE that I could get Graft VS. Host (GVH) disease, which is where the host (me) rejects the cell (grafts, I guess). But they do have treatments for it. If the mortality percentage is the same both ways, and there is a good chance going through with it would put me into remission (not near as good a chance, but may also cure me).

Well, now that I've gotten that all out in the open, I am going to go enjoy my birthday (you do not want to hear my tone of voice right now, trust me). HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well happy birthday kayla, even though you couldnt be at home, i hope you get some time out soon. i will email you soon to chat. , katrina hammond

Kat said...

Kayla I am so sorry your are in for you BIRTHDAY!!!! I know you are having such a hard time being stuck in the hospital. Our prayers are with you. We love you very much! Talk to you later! Love Aunt Kat

Ruth said...

Kayla. Suck-o-rama that you are in the hospital today. But think of the huge party we will have when you are CURED. I see you cured. I see you grown, living your dreams. I see you happy and well.

Don't let them scare you with statistics. I know it may sound easy for me to say... being in remission and all... but statistics are just that. Statistics. 1 in 5 may die, but that means 4 in 5 live, and there is only ONE KAYLA, so whatever happens, happens. You could slip on the ice this winter and fracture your skull.

You squeeze every ounce of joy out of each day that you can.... even if joy only amounts to watching your favorite TV and talking on the phone right now. And the days that suck - you'll get through those. We're here for you.

I think a potential bone marrow transplant match is quite a birthday gift.

Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAYLA!
I'm sad that you have to be in the hospital for your big day! But no matter where you are the world is better a better place for having you in it!
I think it's okay to be mad at God, of anyone, I think he understands the most. And He's the one who gave you that feisty spirit!
Maggie remembered that you share this special day. So cheers to you and Maggie.

Sissy said...

Sorry that it has been a while. I just wanted to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I know that it will be hard being all cooped up. But maybe they will let you have a real tasting cake or shake. I hope that they will reelease you soon.

Miss ya Kristy